Tuesday 27 March 2012

The Harlot: 1998 XL 1200 Sportster (as of 15/03/2012)

My requirements were rather specific and seemingly hard to find in one motorbike.

It had to be of a cruiser ilk; none of that plastic race bike brigade for me. But it needed to be 'sporty'.
It had to have forward controls. Not rear and certainly not mid.
It had to have a forward stance, like a cafe racer.
It needed to be highly customisable.
I'd prefer if it had a lot of grunt. Maybe 1000cc or more.

I was running out of ideas and was preparing to go the straight-up cruiser option, when this beauty presented itself:


1998 Harley-Davidson XL 1200 Sportster, already fitted with forward controls and low profile handlebars.



Rex and I headed over to the seller's house and as the garage door rolled up and I laid eyes on her for the first time, I just knew.
"Oh yes", I told her. "You are perfect."
Two days later I'd bought myself a Harley-Davidson. Yeah, I repeated that to myself several times; "I've bought a Harley..."

Of course, it took me about 34 seconds before I was researching upgrades, alterations and cosmetics.


The original paintwork, although rather cool to look at, had its problems; a bubble at the fuel inlet on the tank, some rust spots on the front fender and scuffing on the rear fender.
What a good excuse for a paint job!

Off she went to Motorcycle Panel & Paint. I was overseas for the duration of the paint work and Simon at MP&P and I talked through concepts via email. I was after a classic racer look but with a strong contemporary edge.
I'd found the colour I wanted. It was special matte blue. "Blue and white?" I suggested. Simon agreed and offered "Matte blue and gloss white?"
He found the mystical matte blue I was wanting and declared it well worthy and thus we proceeded.


Photo supplied by Simon at Motorcycle Panel & Paint, mid-paint job

The rear fender was cut shorter. The front fender had inches taken off the front and the back. A rear brake light LED unit was fitted with a new number plate bracket.

Photo supplied by Simon at Motorcycle Panel & Paint: The matting begins!

A darker blue pin stripe accent was added between the matte blue and gloss white.

Massive props go out to Simon at Motorcycle Panel & Paint for getting the whole thing done extremely fast (to allow me to attend a special ride) while presenting a profoundly professional paint job that blew me away and most people who see it.


The paint work in f1.4 glory

The new LED brake light and number plate bracket

I love this angle...

One of the hardest choices was what direction to go with the tank decal. I knew I didn't want a huge 'Harley Davidson!' scrawled down the side of the tank. It needed to be simple and low-key. "Perhaps the bar and shield?" Some more musing and I'd decided on the bar and shield minus the wording.

Simon agreed that it could look cool, so we headed in that direction. He fabricated a superb decal for me and I couldn't be happier.


The simplified 'bar and shield' tank decal we decided on

As I warned the guys and as they later agreed, the paint job looks nice in photos but looks superb in person. Indeed, since the new cut and colour, The Harlot has been getting a hell of a lot more attention.


The next steps are big ones.
The profile of the handlebar area is being drastically lowered;
* The headlight and cowl is going, being replaced by a 5 3/4" Bates with HID kit.
* The old-school speedo is being replaced with a Dakota Digital MCV-7400 unit.
Hagon 330mm rear shocks and front fork springs are being installed.
Higher quality LED indicators and a set of LED fog lights are being installed.

And then she is getting new grips, Switchblade foot pegs and a new double-tone horn (to replace the current monstrosity).
Added to that I need to get the mirrors underneath the handlebars, or resort to bar-ends of some description.

And that's where she's at for now. Big changes are abound!
More posts and photos to come.

[This bike has been nicknamed 'The Harlot' by my girlfriend as it is fast becoming "the other woman"]

- Tevilspek

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts